After years of everyone telling me I need to watch Game of Thrones and a few more years of me continuing to blow them off, I finally did it… and I am so angry with myself for not starting it sooner.
I started season one in August and just finished the whole series in the middle of October. That’s over 63 hours of bingeing that I completed in less than two months. That’s also what happens when you graduate college and all the sudden have copious amounts of free time.
My favorite thing this past two months was telling current fans that I just started watching and seeing their faces light up. I joined a whole new, die-hard community without even realizing it.
Since many of you have been wondering my thoughts on the show, I knew I’d have to do a blog post about it. So grab some popcorn, and maybe a glass of wine like Tyrion would, and get ready to relive all your Game of Thrones feels.
****WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW****
1. Here is a list of the people I absolutely hate in order: Ramsay Bolton, Joffrey Baratheon, Cersei Lannister, Petyr (Little Finger) Baelish, Walder Frey and Viserys Targaryen.
Honestly, I wish Ramsay’s death was even more gruesome and painful. He deserved the worst death humanly possible. I also jumped up and down with joy when Arya slit Little Fingers and Walder Frey’s throats. They had that coming. I knew Joffrey was going to die before I even started watching so once I saw all the awful things he did, I couldn’t WAIT for him to drink that poison.
2. Poor Theon. Theon did not deserve all that!? He couldn’t catch a freakin’ break this whole show. I hated watching what Ramsay did to him and how it completely ruined him. I’m hoping next season he can redeem himself, just a little.
3. I made the mistake of watching the episode where Ned Stark get’s beheaded on my lunch break. I had to try to compose myself before going back to work.
4. Arya is BAD ASS. I hated her phase where she wanted to be a “No One” but I was so happy when she finally realized who she really was. Also, some of my co-workers think I look like her so they worked their Photoshop magic. I am… Briarya Olstark.
5. Jon Snow and Ygritte’s love story hit me HARD. The fact that they are a real couple in real life makes my heart explode with happiness. All I have to say is… *tear*
6. I will never trust these writers ever again after Hodor. His one job his entire life was to “hold the door” for stupid Bran and it broke my heart. There had been a lot of deaths on the show up until that point but I lost it when Hodor completed his final task.
7. Which brings me to my next point: Bran SUCKS. He ruins everything! If he would have just listened to his mother and not climbed on the castle anymore, he wouldn’t have seen Cersei and Jamie and none of this would have ever happened.
8. On a lighter note… My favorite characters, in no particular order, are Samwell, Podrick, Brienne of Tarth and Tormund. Sam is so sweet, loveable and is a hero that doesn’t get the attention he deserves. Podrick is the purest human on that show and I want everyone to protect him at all costs. I also love Brienne and Tormund and the scene where she catches him looking at her had me rolling on the floor laughing.
9. NO ONE WARNED ME ABOUT THE WHITE WALKERS. There is one thing I can not do in this world and that is zombies. I don’t watch movies with zombies, I don’t go to haunted house that have zombies, I don’t mess with zombies and White Walkers are LITERALLY ZOMBIES. As terrifying as it was, I survived but I pray to God that next season, they all die (for real this time).
10. STARKS DESERVE BETTER. First, Bran becomes crippled, then Ned dies and then the Red Wedding?! If that wasn’t bad enough, we had to watch Sansa marry Ramsay, Jon get murdered and Rickon get shot with an arrow (if he would have just ran in a zig-zag, he might still be alive). I can’t stand to see anything else bad happen to this family. Besides maybe to Bran…
11. Cersei has officially lost her marbles. She was never really sane in the first place and we definitely watched her grow from cruel to cruelest but at the end of season seven, I realized she would do just about anything to stay on the Iron Throne…even if that meant everyone was dead.
12. Incest? Oh well. Honestly, by season seven, it wasn’t anything we hadn’t seen already. I had heard rumors about Jon and Daenarys before I started the show but refused to believe it till I knew for sure. Even while Bran was narrating that final scene, dropping the bomb about who Jon really is, I was still rooting for him and Dany to get it on.
13. Two words: Freakin’ Dragons. Enough said.
14. Bran is definitely the Night King. I didn’t come up with this theory myself but there are tons of articles about and it just makes sense. He can time travel, he’s a jerk and they even dress alike. Just look at this GIF!
15. Jon has to be immortal. Or he is a cat and has nine lives. In the episode where the white walkers trap Jon and his comrades on the island in the middle of the frozen lake, they attack him and drag him under water after Dany saves all his friends and flies away on her dragon. Jon doesn’t come shooting out of the water for air until after all the white walkers have begun to leave the scene. That means he had to have been holding his breath for at least 15 minutes??? Or he is immortal. I think it’s the latter.
I have NO clue what is going to happen next or when we will even get to see the final season but I am hooked. I am so excited to experience the final season of this incredible show in real-time with all the other fans out there. It’s going to be bittersweet but I think we are all ready to know how this is going to end.
Well, there you have it! My final thoughts on Game of Thrones. Please comment down below or share this post with your favorite moments, characters and theories! I’d love to hear what you think. Until then… my watch has ended.